Teenager Sarah Pool was attending a church and wakeboarding camp on Lake Travis last month when she drowned. Authorities recovered her body a few days later, and the medical examiner reported carbon monoxide was found in her system. 15-year-old Sarah, not wearing a life jacket, was holding on the platform on the back of the boat with two other girls when she went under.
This sad story is a wake-up call to boat enthusiasts, must of us never think about carbon monoxide poisoning happening outside of an enclosed garage. But when you are out on the lake setting up for the next skiier, or stopping for a swim, the slow idling of the boat can create CO build up.
Find out how to avoid CO poisoning on your boat at the CDC's website here. For more about this tragic story, read the Statesman article here.